#1 03-08-2013, 18:28:58 PM
- Last Edit: 04-08-2013, 17:27:00 PM
  • Administrator
  • Rigcoins: 9933629.20
  • Send Money to Cirus
    OS X Mountain Lion Thumb Up
  • Head Cynic/Obscure Metalheadsmug hipsterProfessional Football Manager+
Discussion date: August 31 (Saturday), noon PST

Chasing Che: A Motorcycle Journey in Search of the Guevara Legend -- Patrick Symmes

Intrepid journalist Patrick Symmes sets off on his BMW R80 G/S in search of the people and places in Ernesto "Che" Guevara's classic Motorcycle Diaries, seeking out his own adventure as well as the legacy of the icon Che would become, Symmes retraces the future revolutionary's path.  And on the way he runs out of gas in an Argentine desert, talks a Peruvian guerrilla out of taking him hostage, wipes out in the Andes, and, in Cuba, drinks himself blind with Che's travel partner, Alberto Granado.

Here is the unforgettable story of a wanderer's quest for food, shelter, and wisdom. Here, too, is the portrait of a continent whose dreams of utopia give birth not only to freedom fighters, but also to tyrants whose methods include torture and mass killing. Masterfully detailed, insightful, unforgettable, Chasing Che transfixes us with the glory of the open road, where man and machine traverse the unknown in search of the spirit's keenest desires.

Download: EPUB

If you're interested in reading Che's diaries, here is a download for the MOBI file (this is easily converted to EPUB using the Calibre software).  Alternatively, in 2004 a film was made and can be found now on Netflix (trailer here).  It is very highly rated.

Epileptic -- David B.

Hailed by The Comics Journal as one of Europe’s most important and innovative comics artists, David B. has created a masterpiece in Epileptic, his stunning and emotionally resonant autobiography about growing up with an epileptic brother. Epileptic gathers together and makes available in English for the first time all six volumes of the internationally acclaimed graphic work.

David B. was born Pierre-François Beauchard in a small town near Orléans, France. He spent an idyllic early childhood playing with the neighborhood kids and, along with his older brother, Jean-Christophe, ganging up on his little sister, Florence. But their lives changed abruptly when Jean-Christophe was struck with epilepsy at age eleven. In search of a cure, their parents dragged the family to acupuncturists and magnetic therapists, to mediums and macrobiotic communes. But every new cure ended in disappointment as Jean-Christophe, after brief periods of remission, would only get worse.

Angry at his brother for abandoning him and at all the quacks who offered them false hope, Pierre-François learned to cope by drawing fantastically elaborate battle scenes, creating images that provide a fascinating window into his interior life. An honest and horrifying portrait of the disease and of the pain and fear it sowed in the family, Epileptic is also a moving depiction of one family’s intricate history. Through flashbacks, we are introduced to the stories of Pierre-François’s grandparents and we relive his grandfathers’ experiences in both World Wars. We follow Pierre-François through his childhood, adolescence, and adulthood, all the while charting his complicated relationship with his brother and Jean-Christophe”s losing battle with epilepsy. Illustrated with beautiful and striking black-and-white images, Epileptic is as astonishing, intimate, and heartbreaking as the best literary memoir.

Download link: CBR

cirus_
JC VON BASTARD
#2 03-08-2013, 18:38:09 PM
Chasing Che: It's a sort of biography about Che Guevara. A journalist traces Che's motorcycle journey across Latin America to try and see what made him into who he is

Persepolis: Memoir of a girl growing up through the Islamic revolution in Iran and her teenage years in Europe

Waiting For Snow in Havana: Life story of a guy who lived in Cuba through the revolution

jcthedude
#3 03-08-2013, 19:33:46 PM
- Last Edit: 04-08-2013, 17:27:32 PM
Graphic Novel Suggestion

Novel Suggestion

An attractive, highly successful Beverly Hills entertainment lawyer, Terri Cheney had been battling debilitating bipolar disorder for the better part of her life—and concealing a pharmacy’s worth of prescription drugs meant to stabilize her moods and make her "normal." In explosive bursts of prose that mirror the devastating mania and extreme despair of her illness, Cheney describes her roller-coaster existence with shocking honesty, giving brilliant voice to the previously unarticulated madness she endured. Brave, electrifying, poignant, and disturbing, Manic does not simply explain bipolar disorder—it takes us into its grasp and does not let go.

(Couldn't find a downloadable version but it's only 2.99 for the E-book on Amazon & Nook store! so I believe it's worth buying and reading!)

#4 03-08-2013, 19:37:01 PM
Oh and I found my second suggestion for the NOVEL

This one we can download!

Seen pragmatically, James Bowen's spontaneous act of adopting an injured cat was foolish. The struggling London street musician was barely about to feed himself, much less another mouth, no matter how tiny. Nevertheless, he took in the stray, named him Bob, nursed him back to health, and then sent him on his way—or so he thought. But Bob had other ideas. This sweetly inspiring book is worthy of comparisons with Dewey and Oogy.

Cirus
#5 03-08-2013, 19:40:41 PM
  • Administrator
  • Send Money to Cirus
Get suggestions in TODAY we will pick a book tomorrow

cirus_
Cirus
#6 04-08-2013, 02:32:06 AM
  • Administrator
  • Send Money to Cirus
you guys SUCK

cirus_
Cat Brush
#7 04-08-2013, 03:38:11 AM
mein kampf

bladehq
#8 04-08-2013, 06:28:31 AM
  • to itself
  • Rigcoins: 523.27
  • Send Money to Beer w/Straw
    Windows XP Thumb Up
  • doesnt have image usernameEnlightened by his intelligenceworld class fedora tipper+
  • "Transcendental Ignorance"
you guys SUCK

I still like the idea of a book club. However, some one else wanted me to join a local book club with people that have done jail time and can't even spell 'internet'. Also, I didn't like the name "My friend Dahmer," wondering if the book would have been about a white guy drugging and raping black guys. Then killing them and having sex with their rotten corpses. I was watching part of the movie with my friend and asked myself "Why the heck was I even bothering to watch this?" I already knew how it was going to end and didn't need to watch some artists interpretation of a psychopath.

:(

beerwithstraw
Cirus
#9 04-08-2013, 16:38:17 PM
  • Administrator
  • Send Money to Cirus
what

I've chosen the books (Chasing Che, Epileptic), will update the top post in a couple of hours with links to everything.  Let's tentatively plan on Saturday, August 31 at noon PST as the discussion date.

cirus_
#10 04-08-2013, 19:13:02 PM
ahh hell yeah! Stoked!!!! YOu guys stop being pussies. All I hear is excuse excuse.

#11 04-08-2013, 20:00:43 PM
  • to itself
  • Rigcoins: 523.27
  • Send Money to Beer w/Straw
    Windows XP Thumb Up
  • doesnt have image usernameEnlightened by his intelligenceworld class fedora tipper+
  • "Transcendental Ignorance"
Ender's Game is a book that came out in 1985, but it's also going to be a movie soon.

beerwithstraw
JC VON BASTARD
#12 04-08-2013, 20:23:15 PM
Important Update: I just watched the Motorcycle Diaries. It was an extremely good movie, and does indeed give the book some good context.

jcthedude
Cirus
#13 05-08-2013, 17:16:51 PM
  • Administrator
  • Send Money to Cirus
Thanks for the update!

cirus_
#14 05-08-2013, 17:28:46 PM
 Well I guess I don't get to chime in.