YOUREWINNER.COM

yourewinner.com Minetest server

Thunder
#1 09-07-2012, 16:07:13 PM
Inspired by Minecraft and other block building games, Minetest is everything you could hope for. Can't log onto the yourewinner Minecraft server? This is a public server! Can't afford Minecraft? This is free! This particular server already has teleporters, a large wall, and Thunder Tower. You don't have to install any mods, because it's all server-side.

If you are running Windows, you can pick up the latest Minetest package, complete with the mods (in case you want to host your own or whatever) here.

If you are running another operating system or the link is dead, go here.

The server is maraakate.org at port 30001.

:roddy:

yourethunder
Thunder
#2 09-07-2012, 16:08:49 PM
Thanks maraakate.

yourethunder
Thunder
#3 09-07-2012, 16:28:25 PM
I installed it and it wants me to delete system32 should I do it?

It doesn't come from me, so any implications of a virus are complete BS.

yourethunder
Svetlana
#4 09-07-2012, 16:52:24 PM
  • forum's girl mascot
  • Rigcoins: 9634722.71
  • Send Money to Svetlana
    Thumb Up
  • Dust II OwnsPortugueseLotus 3 soundtrack+
  • "what do you mean it's not 1986"
haha the fire only updates when you're close to it what a piece of poo poo

lana_chan my name is erin
Thunder
#5 09-07-2012, 19:11:13 PM
- Last Edit: 09-07-2012, 22:36:25 PM

Fire is still experimental. Are you sure about the specifics there? I recall a small forest fire where I put the lava. This occured because I started working on the map using an older version of Minetest that didn't support fire at all, so when we upgraded to the new version, trees were killed. When I logged in today, the fire was still going.

You know, a good start would be to craft tools and whatnot. I have a chest with some picks in it. The recipe for a pick is

{cobblestone or wood or Mese (gold)},{cobblestone or wood or Mese (gold)},{cobblestone or wood or Mese (gold)}
{},{wooden stick},{}
{},{wooden stick},{}

In the 3x3 grid.

EDIT: The recipe for a teleporter is as follows:

The thing in the middle is a block of Mese.

yourethunder
ZMannZilla
#6 09-07-2012, 19:27:42 PM
  • "There ain't no stopping us now, we celebrate on the floor"
  • Rigcoins: 3877803.30
  • Send Money to ZMannZilla
    Trophy
  • Kind heartGreat fatherBob Cobra was here+
  • "YOU LOOK STU-PID *CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP*"
This may actually be the first Thunder program I actually give a fair try.  I'll give it a whirl tonight and tell you what I think.

big rigs is great and i want to suck his cock

"Yeah, let’s bring back the Attitude Era…so we can see Shawn Michael’s anus while they shill toys." -RD Reynolds
Z. Mann Zilla
Svetlana
#7 09-07-2012, 19:36:44 PM
  • forum's girl mascot
  • Rigcoins: 9634722.71
  • Send Money to Svetlana
    Thumb Up
  • Dust II OwnsPortugueseLotus 3 soundtrack+
  • "what do you mean it's not 1986"
This may actually be the first Thunder program I actually give a fair try.  I'll give it a whirl tonight and tell you what I think.

thunder didn't make this, also it's just another poo pooty minecraft clone

Fire is still experimental. Are you sure about the specifics there?

yes the fire was completely stationary until i crossed the river and then it started eating trees

lana_chan my name is erin
ZMannZilla
#8 09-07-2012, 19:42:49 PM
    Trophy

Oh cool, then I can continue to maintain my flawless record.

Besides, I consider myself a connoseur of poo pooty Minecraft clones, especially since I've actually purchased damn near every single one that's come out on the XBox

"Yeah, let’s bring back the Attitude Era…so we can see Shawn Michael’s anus while they shill toys." -RD Reynolds
Z. Mann Zilla
Thunder
#9 09-07-2012, 20:25:12 PM

Oh cool, then I can continue to maintain my flawless record.

Besides, I consider myself a connoseur of poo pooty Minecraft clones, especially since I've actually purchased damn near every single one that's come out on the XBox

I didn't know there were that many. It would be cool if someone made a 2D JavaScript Minetest so Wii, iPhone, and Android users could play it.

yourethunder
ZMannZilla
#10 10-07-2012, 03:09:15 AM
    Trophy
I played for about 30 minutes to get the hang of the basic controls.  Thunder literally walked me through the beginning process.  Here are some observations:

- It definitely feels like the early stages of something Minecraft-like, and might have some potential provided the designers don't get bored with it for the 1-2 years it'll take to get this to a stable common ground.
- It is by no means a replacement for Minecraft - still quite buggy, and lags like a son of a bitch when more than one person is playing. 
- The light from torches also doesn't carry very well, though I will admit the lighting effect is much moodier. Also not crazy about the whole "torches being represented by a static 2D sprite" thing.
- You have a full crafting grid without any need for a crafting table, which has both merits and flaws I suppose.
- Also, no mobs walking around at night.  Thunder tells me there are rats and ogres that shoot fireballs capable of wrecking some serious poo poo, but I didn't see one.  I also found a metric poo pooload of iron/steel ore right near the surface, so I have a feeling you're expected to make walls out of steel to resist the fireballs (either that or there really is no sense of balance to speak of).
- The teleporters are meh, I'm sure I'll appreciate them more once I get a chance to explore, for now though they're just kind of a novelty.
- I do like that you can have stacks of 99 instead of 64 in your inventory. 
- I don't like that your character is a flat green 2D pixel cowboy looking thing that can actually get trapped in the blocks if you're standing in a spot where someone else is building.

All in all, I plan on giving it another shot, at least until the Minecraft server goes back up.

Also...

I consider myself a connoseur of poo pooty Minecraft clones, especially since I've actually purchased damn near every single one that's come out on the XBox

I didn't know there were that many. It would be cool if someone made a 2D JavaScript Minetest so Wii, iPhone, and Android users could play it.
Android users have something like 3 or 4 different Minecraft clones to choose from already, not counting Minecraft Pocket Edition.  I think there's even a free version of Minebuilder, if you like Minetest then Minebuilder might scratch your itch on mobile.

On the XBox Live Indie Marketplace there's Total Miner: Forge, Castleminer, Castleminer Z, Fortresscraft, Miner 4 Ever, Guncraft, Miner Of Duty, Fortress Wars, and Avatar Block War, not to mention Miner Style (more of a building toy than a Minecraft clone), Lootfest Live Design (sort of like Minecraft in 3rd person with smaller bricks and ultra-swift building tools) and Bit Digger (or as I like to call it "Ultima Minecraft" - it's Minecraft as an isometric/2.5D style game).  I can personally recommend Total Miner and Castleminer Z as the two best ones, aside from actual Minecraft 360 of course which blows them all out of the water.  Most of the clones are 240 Points (about 3 dollars) or less.

Z. Mann Zilla
Thunder
#11 10-07-2012, 14:44:31 PM
I played for about 30 minutes to get the hang of the basic controls.  Thunder literally walked me through the beginning process.
Always happy to help! I can't wait until we have built up a booming city of industry. As Minetest is being developed, so is the Mesecons mod (sort of like Wiremod or Minecraft's redstone, lets you wire circuit boards).

- It definitely feels like the early stages of something Minecraft-like, and might have some potential provided the designers don't get bored with it for the 1-2 years it'll take to get this to a stable common ground.
I think it's been worked on for a few years. It's really just one guy doing all of the main programming. I emailed him, and he is probably going to implement some of the cool features in the next release. Those should include:

Better audio support
Animated torches
Full Mesecons support, as well as stuff to do with other mods

- It is by no means a replacement for Minecraft - still quite buggy, and lags like a son of a bitch when more than one person is playing.
Yeah, sure, kind of.

- The light from torches also doesn't carry very well, though I will admit the lighting effect is much moodier. Also not crazy about the whole "torches being represented by a static 2D sprite" thing.
The torches will be animated soon. I can't really vouch for the lighting, though.

- You have a full crafting grid without any need for a crafting table, which has both merits and flaws I suppose.
Yep. It makes it really easy to mod. Potentially, anything could make anything.

- Also, no mobs walking around at night.  Thunder tells me there are rats and ogres that shoot fireballs capable of wrecking some serious poo poo, but I didn't see one.  I also found a metric poo pooload of iron/steel ore right near the surface, so I have a feeling you're expected to make walls out of steel to resist the fireballs (either that or there really is no sense of balance to speak of).
I saw in the image files from an older version that there is additionally a dark ghosty thing, which I forgot to mention to you. I know nothing about it, though. Also, I'm not quite so sure there are any rats or monsters or anything like that at all in the particular version of the server we have set up. That's all a work in progress. If you really want monsters, I can research some really extensive monster mods on the forums.

- The teleporters are meh, I'm sure I'll appreciate them more once I get a chance to explore, for now though they're just kind of a novelty.
I connected your cave to the telenet. Teleportation is fun!

- I do like that you can have stacks of 99 instead of 64 in your inventory. 
I have no opinion about this.

- I don't like that your character is a flat green 2D pixel cowboy looking thing that can actually get trapped in the blocks if you're standing in a spot where someone else is building.
Animated 3D characters are just around the corner, although maybe not in the next release.

All in all, I plan on giving it another shot, at least until the Minecraft server goes back up.
I hope you can play both. You legitamize the server. I'm just a joke to these people.

I consider myself a connoseur of poo pooty Minecraft clones, especially since I've actually purchased damn near every single one that's come out on the XBox

Android users have something like 3 or 4 different Minecraft clones to choose from already, not counting Minecraft Pocket Edition.  I think there's even a free version of Minebuilder, if you like Minetest then Minebuilder might scratch your itch on mobile.

On the XBox Live Indie Marketplace there's Total Miner: Forge, Castleminer, Castleminer Z, Fortresscraft, Miner 4 Ever, Guncraft, Miner Of Duty, Fortress Wars, and Avatar Block War, not to mention Miner Style (more of a building toy than a Minecraft clone), Lootfest Live Design (sort of like Minecraft in 3rd person with smaller bricks and ultra-swift building tools) and Bit Digger (or as I like to call it "Ultima Minecraft" - it's Minecraft as an isometric/2.5D style game).  I can personally recommend Total Miner and Castleminer Z as the two best ones, aside from actual Minecraft 360 of course which blows them all out of the water.  Most of the clones are 240 Points (about 3 dollars) or less.

That's really a lot of games!

yourethunder
ZMannZilla
#12 10-07-2012, 15:57:14 PM
    Trophy
We'll see.  I still haven't had a chance to explore any underground caverns yet, I'm really interested to see how Minetest does with those.  The lack of mobs/bad guys kind of takes the "survival" fun out of it, but it also means I can build for creativity and not for defense.  I'd say Minetest would work better without monsters, just so we have a different experience from the one in Minecraft.

Z. Mann Zilla
Thunder
#13 10-07-2012, 17:46:54 PM
We'll see.  I still haven't had a chance to explore any underground caverns yet, I'm really interested to see how Minetest does with those.  The lack of mobs/bad guys kind of takes the "survival" fun out of it, but it also means I can build for creativity and not for defense.  I'd say Minetest would work better without monsters, just so we have a different experience from the one in Minecraft.

Alright.

yourethunder
ZMannZilla
#14 11-07-2012, 15:38:42 PM
    Trophy
So the teleporter in my cave (now temple) can't be moved.  Thunder is that because you made it or what?  If so, can you move it to the area left of the stairs so it's out of the way of the main through-way?

Also, I did some building.

Z. Mann Zilla
bjorno the hedgehog
#15 12-07-2012, 01:17:35 AM
my minetest results just came back.....

i have aids :(

cheers m8
bjorno780 http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/2969/freesorfzl1.gif