YOUREWINNER.COM

Philips CD-i

#1 13-04-2012, 06:43:57 AM
Does anybody here have one of these systems? I have one in my living room, and I consider it to be the most WINNER console of all-time. Contrary to what YouTube nerds and /b/tards might say, the CD-i was actually a groundbreaking system for its time - it opened up a whole new world when it came to CD-based gaming, and helped making the development process for the CD medium much less painful. It was cutting-edge, producing high-quality music and nicely-rendered environments that the SNES and Genesis couldn't even scratch. Its games were extremely WINNER - the Holy WINNER Triforce and Hotel Mario were known for their pristine animation, not to mention awesome music:

The CD-i was ahead of its time, which makes the constant hate spewed by Kidtendo fanboys all the more sad. I've posted this link before, but I'll post it again in case anyone missed it the first time (it's an article on the greatness of the Zelda CD-i games):
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/zeldacdi/zeldacdi.htm

HG101 is LOSER because they trashed Action 52 and BROTRR, but the author of this specific article (John Szczepaniak) is extremely WINNER because he has seen the light in both of these games. Also, unlike the kiddy LOSERs who live with their mothers spewing hate at Philips, John Szcz has become the "Lord of Retrogaming", writing a well-recieved novel in the process:
http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Aukfontein-Odyssey-Through-ebook/dp/B005PNIE3C

Unfortunately, idiots couldn't see through the BS and lies perpetrated by the Kidtendo hive mind, and trashed the article as a result:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201714

What do my fellow WINNERs think of this console?

:roddy: :roddy: :roddy: :bidoof: :bidoof: :belair: :belair: :bluerig:

O-ZONE
#2 13-04-2012, 15:18:52 PM
i hope she makes lotsa spaghetti

#3 13-04-2012, 15:23:42 PM
i hope she makes lotsa spaghetti
Anyone who post in this topic gets a free prrrrommtiooon!

RowdyTuesday
#4 13-04-2012, 17:07:14 PM
up to my eyebrows in retro video game consoles

Maraakate
#5 02-07-2012, 17:18:16 PM
CD-i is only interesting strictly for the history behind it which resulted into the :stamp: nintendo licensed games.

The rest of it is mostly filled to the brim with awful "multimedia" games that were common of the time.  If you have one for real, let me know if the laser even still works on it.  I know they're notorious for failing.  I wouldn't be surprised if they had really cheap, poo pooty capacitors in them that are dried out now as well and causing the console to power cycle and do all sorts of goofy poo poo.

:bike:

Sergey, what do you think of my :stamp: gamespot review of BR?

I think you're WINNER !

~Sergey Titov

(\_/) Hi! I'm Bunny ^.^
(^.^) Copy and paste us to your siggy so we can
(")(") achieve WORLD DOMINATION!
Teh Lame Domain
#6 02-07-2012, 17:22:21 PM
The rest of it is mostly filled to the brim with awful "multimedia" games that were common of the time.  If you have one for real, let me know if the laser even still works on it.  I know they're notorious for failing.  I wouldn't be surprised if they had really cheap, poo pooty capacitors in them that are dried out now as well and causing the console to power cycle and do all sorts of goofy poo poo.
Markaate, have you turned :loser: lately? First you say Daikatana isn't very good, now this. The CD-i was a WINNER machine, and yes, the laser does work for me - it only works for those who are :stamp: . Sure, the multimedia games may not be the best in the world, but I still appreciate the cheese factor and 1990s "essence" they embody. It's just the AVGN and other hacks decided to make reviews about how much they hated the CD-i, thus conning herds of mindless sheep into hating it as well and wishing ill on Dale DeSharone's grave because he made Zelda games that were *gasp* different from the norm.

Believe it or not, but the CD-i made CD-based game development much easier than it was before, and it was one of the first machines of its time to produce high-quality music and graphics. Don't believe me? Take a listen to these dope beats:

Maraakate
#7 02-07-2012, 17:25:03 PM
Markaate, have you turned :loser: lately? First you say Daikatana isn't very good, now this. The CD-i was a WINNER machine, and yes, the laser does work for me - it only works for those who are :stamp: , Sure, the multimedia games may not be the best in the world, but I still appreciate the cheese factor and 1990s "essence" they embody. It's just the AVGN and other hacks decided to make reviews about how much they hated the CD-i, thus conning herds of mindless sheep into hating it as well and wishing ill on Dale DeSharone's grave because he made Zelda games that were *gasp* different from the norm.

Actually, I love Daikatana so much that I own a mirror of the development backup tape and I've been working on updating the source code since January to make it even more :stamp:.

But, on a serious level about the CD-i.  There are some funny multimedia games, especially on the Sega CD and 3DO.  But, the CD-i really did have a slew of poo pooty edutainment titles.  Some that are so bad you can't even laugh for the cheese factor.

Luck you though, if I had a working CD-i in my collection I'd probably be trying to scoop up every bargain lot on ebay to find some lulzy titles.

Sergey, what do you think of my :stamp: gamespot review of BR?

I think you're WINNER !

~Sergey Titov

(\_/) Hi! I'm Bunny ^.^
(^.^) Copy and paste us to your siggy so we can
(")(") achieve WORLD DOMINATION!
Teh Lame Domain
#8 02-07-2012, 17:31:14 PM
Markaate, have you turned :loser: lately? First you say Daikatana isn't very good, now this. The CD-i was a WINNER machine, and yes, the laser does work for me - it only works for those who are :stamp: , Sure, the multimedia games may not be the best in the world, but I still appreciate the cheese factor and 1990s "essence" they embody. It's just the AVGN and other hacks decided to make reviews about how much they hated the CD-i, thus conning herds of mindless sheep into hating it as well and wishing ill on Dale DeSharone's grave because he made Zelda games that were *gasp* different from the norm.

Actually, I love Daikatana so much that I own a mirror of the development backup tape and I've been working on updating the source code since January to make it even more :stamp:.

But, on a serious level about the CD-i.  There are some funny multimedia games, especially on the Sega CD and 3DO.  But, the CD-i really did have a slew of poo pooty edutainment titles.  Some that are so bad you can't even laugh for the cheese factor.

Luck you though, if I had a working CD-i in my collection I'd probably be trying to scoop up every bargain lot on ebay to find some lulzy titles.
Ah, I see. :roddy:

Joe
#9 02-07-2012, 19:44:34 PM
  • Level 76
  • Rigcoins: 863747.74
  • Send Money to Joe
    Trophy
  • Everybody deserves at least one tagTag you're it+
  • "Ooga boogaloo"
the koopalings and I makes lotsa spaghetti for ganon's dong and only link can defeat a fire sumo mah boi