YOUREWINNER.COM

Meep's Diary: First time watching Neon Genesis Evangelion

Classic Meepington
#1 05-07-2020, 09:56:17 AM
Intro

So I'm finally at the point where I've witnessed every single entertainment property in the world. Every story has been told to me except for one. One that the weebs and crossover "prestige TV" watchers alike will sing the praises of. I'm about to journey into watching the Japanime known as Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I have never seen anything from this series before. The most I have experienced of it was playing the pachinko slot machine for about 20 hellish minutes but that's another story.

literally all I know about this series is contained in this image

The main motivation for viewing this series however stems from my desire to fully understand this beautiful video.

Anyway without further ado here are my thoughts as I view the series. I'll try to keep an open mind but I'm pretty cynical when I see cynical content.

Episodes 1 - 2

So... this it... this is the power of a completely paint by numbers show.

As I dig down into this series I really want to learn why it is praised in such regards. The first two episodes do not answer this at all. The first thing I've noticed about this critical darling is it's already got a handful of titty n ass shots (not that I'm complaining I'm super straight and I bone holes irregardless of dimensionality). I guess this is par for the course but also a bit saddening that genre tropes have basically become well deserved stereotypes for the medium as a whole.

The show starts off with the fairly bland lead getting put into a giant robot that I must stress is very much TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL so he can fight another giant robot demon that is called an angel. Is this ironic naming, foreshadowing that our heroes are the actual bad guys? At this point I'm not sure if the show is even smart enough to pull off that basic level of narrative depth between the TnA and the epic penguin of doooooom character.

At the end of these first two episodes my favourite thing is the theme song. It is 🔥🔥🔥 as heck even all these years later and I don't see myself skipping it a single time. The person who remixed the taco guy knew what was up. I also have a strong feeling of comfort when viewing 4:3 animus and I'm glad Netflix/Gainax didn't try to foist some chopped and screwed version that messes up everything to cater towards widescreen televisions. Also the colour scheme and sound effects are pretty cool. Story is very silly.

Character I most want to have relations with: Misato Katsuragi

(\_/) Hi! I'm Bunny ^.^
(^.^) Copy and paste us to your siggy so we can
(")(") achieve WORLD DOMINATION!
Dissident YOU'RE WINNER!
bjorno the hedgehog
#2 06-07-2020, 02:06:11 AM
anime is for perverts

cheers m8
bjorno780 http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/2969/freesorfzl1.gif
bjorno the hedgehog
#3 06-07-2020, 02:06:38 AM
please continue this for the next 248 episodes.

cheers m8
Classic Meepington
#4 11-07-2020, 00:29:01 AM
Episodes 3 - 4

After setting up a real damp rag of a protagonist in the first two episodes we're finally getting somewhere with main man Shinji. He's meek. His schoolmates don't like him as he pilots the thing but then he pilots the thing and saves them.

Not much happened in episode 3. It'll be very disappointing if every episodic battle is ended by Shinji asspulling out yet another super cool weapon that was designed to be punched out of a 1/144 model kit mould. If they end the series on one of these then I'm just writing off the entire damn nation of Japan.

Positives from episode 3. I'm appreciating how the ALEINS are big fans of coating everything in  silicone dildo purple. Maybe the Covenant from Halo got fashion tips from them.

As for waifu baiting I have to give props to Ayanami Rei here who beat Haruhi Suzumiya to the punch of looking out the window wistfully. Perhaps she will be able to uslurp my own personal 2D god Haruhi from the semenal throne. Time will tell.

Still looking forward to when that bitch Soryu Asuka Langley shows up. They've been really keeping her under wraps. Not so much of a hint to her existence yet as far as I know. It's like in that mediocre Better Call Saul sequel called Breaking Bad where we had to suffer through an entire Saul-less season before meeting the actual best character.

Episode 4 actually has some feels to it despite marking the point where the animation budget went from "really blow the audience's socks" to "we gotta animate 19 more minutes of this and its already Friday afternoon." Such is the way of 24+ episode series I suppose. I wish I was being a cynical dingus here but there's literally a 20 second still frame in this episode among other cheapo animation tricks.

Also overheard in this episode is the exposition line, "we must entrust the piloting of our EVAs to 14 year olds, we have no other choice." There better be a good reason for this other than 14 being the show's target demographic. We shall see, but I am guessing there will not be and it is just an excuse to be stupid and pandering to horny boys in their early teens.

Overall episode 4 is probably the most enjoyable so far due to the explicit lack of giant robots fighting.

(\_/) Hi! I'm Bunny ^.^
Dissident YOU'RE WINNER!
Dissident
#5 12-07-2020, 02:36:55 AM
  • the ultimate, the muffin man
  • Administrator
  • Rigcoins: 99832923.19
  • Send Money to Dissident
    OS X Puma Thumb Up
  • dissident b shirtweeaboosexual orientation unclear+
  • "smash the patriarchy"
I rewatched Evangelion recently, I think just before it came out on Netflix, for the first time since I was 13 (Rebuild movies notwithstanding).  I was filled with apprehension, worried that it wouldn't live up to what I nostalgically remembered, but it really does stand on its own.  Even compared to the Rebuild movies, which unlike the show have bottomless budgets and timelines, I think the original comes out ahead, despite predating digital animation, CG, etc (comparing them purely on technical terms; the story of Rebuild is hot garbage).

To be honest, I didn't like the show much when I first saw it on Adult Swim; I was mostly interested in the giant robot fights, and all the psychodrama poo poo held no interest for me.  I loved End of Evangelion visually but the message went completely over my head.  I watched End of Eva again toward the end of college though, when I was definitely at the apex of my hermit lifestyle (and the nadir of my life overall), and it was like slap in the face.  It's definitely a guided message, and I think you have to be in the right place and time to receive it, or it's just gonna sound like pretentious nonsense.

Dissident International Anti-Furry Organization
Classic Meepington
#6 11-08-2020, 00:02:04 AM
Episodes 5 - 8

Thanks for your inputs, Diss. It is indeed a terrifying prospect to go back and evaluate something that really defined oneself as a dumb teen but from the perspective of a slightly less dumb adult. I'm glad the franchise as a whole held up for you and some elements seem to have even sweetened with the wisdom gleaned from your advanced age.

Bet ya'll thought I was done with this series but I just been busy, tired as hell and my PS Triple just got repaired so I've been wasting the midnight hours with that instead of watching stuff.

Went on a bit of a bender tonight, and for me four 24~minute episodes is indeed a binge. I seem to have a recessive gene for whatever one causes predisposition to binge watching in others.

I gotta say, I don't know if it was the break or my mood but I was actually vibing a bit more with these episodes. 5 was a bit of a technobabble episode but the fight in 6 actually used the characters to solve the fight. It wasn't overtly clever and Rei and Shinji are both still huge bores but at least they're doing stuff and working together.

Ep 7 and 8 on the other hand were some of the most enjoyable for me so far. They had big Misato slice of life moments which are easily my fav parts. The ePiC pEnGuIn Of DoOm gag doesn't even bother me anymore. Also of importance is that episode 8 FINALLY introduced Asuka or Langley or whatever, I don't know what name I'm supposed to use to refer to her casually. At first impression though, WHY WOULD ANYONE CHOOSE REI OVER ASUKA AS THEIR WAIFU??? The choice is clear, the blue haired CPR dummy that is Rei has got to go.

There were also a few more glimpses of throwaway Christian symbolism thrown in, I'm still betting these will lead nowhere and it has just been a case of the director thinking that crosses = cool and deep.

Looking forward to doing some episodes on the morrow.

Character I most want to have relations with: it's still Misato Katsuragi

(\_/) Hi! I'm Bunny ^.^
Dissident YOU'RE WINNER!
bjorno the hedgehog
#7 20-08-2020, 22:39:12 PM
does the show make you horny?

cheers m8
Classic Meepington
#8 24-08-2020, 23:51:34 PM
Episodes 9 - 10

Well it took until 10 episodes in until the first INFLATION scene of Shoryuken Asuka Langstaff. I'm sure this one scene alone awakened a certain something in a whole lot of Deviantart users.

Other than that standout bit they've really ramped up the more traditional fanservice in the show which I'm ok with. They've also tossed Rei to the side but not quite the dumpster where she belongs. I'm also ok with this but unfortunately that probably means I'm going to have to suffer a handful of boring Rei-centric 'sodes in the future. I'm wondering if this show will pull some Betty-Veronica nonsense. I guess in my heart I know it will. I also have a feeling that main dude Shinji will choose neither as the Internet rumours alluding to his homosexuality are looking to be almost certainly true.

There's been a lot more talk in the show of dumb backstory which I've never been a fan of. Stuff like "15 years ago" and subtle allusions to MUH PAST that fluster up all the characters. I'm sure the payoff here will be quite whelming.

Character I most want to have relations with: Misato Katsuragi, Soryu Asuka Whatever coming up close 2nd

(\_/) Hi! I'm Bunny ^.^
Dissident YOU'RE WINNER!
Classic Meepington
#9 26-08-2020, 00:38:17 AM
Episodes 11 - 12

Well now all three of the main pilots, Nonuts Shinji, Rei and Asuka are all getting some nearly even exposure. It's an alright dynamic I guess.

As for the formula of the show requiring one Angel attack and dismantling per episode I feel like they're getting somewhat uninspired in their creature designs. Every new Angel just looks like some random Bauhaus painting. Maybe that means they're overly inspired. Idk. It also doesn't seem like great designs for selling heaps of toys and models.

Seriously, try to identify the alien design from Evangelion out of the above 3 images.

Other than that the show is slinking along I guess. I'm not even halfway through and I'm feeling the LENGTH of 26 episodes. This is why I'm immune to binging.

Oh also they teasing some of that 15 years ago bs. The second impact!! Revengeance.

(\_/) Hi! I'm Bunny ^.^
Dissident YOU'RE WINNER!
Classic Meepington
#10 26-08-2020, 19:56:42 PM
Episodes 13 - 14

Episode 13 was just a bunch of technobabble and HACKING action. If you thought stiff giant robot action scenes weren't enough to get your blood pumping then maybe people typing in front of flashing computer screens will do the trick. It did not for me.

Episode 14 is a recap clip show episode. End me.

Also the other thing I forgot to bitch about regarding anime and especially this anime. Enough with the fetching cicada sound effects. Every time it's a summer scene, ZREEEEEEE. We get it. It's summer, there's cicadas. This show really overdoes it.

Also we get to see a static image of le epic folded fingers man from multiple angles for pure minutes of static screentime. Bang up animation job, chaps.

I would rather be watching my true favourite anime, having sex with a real human female.

Character I most want to have relations with: NOT WATCHING THIS SHOW ANYMORE

(\_/) Hi! I'm Bunny ^.^
Dissident YOU'RE WINNER!
Maraakate
#11 29-08-2020, 09:39:35 AM
  • image usernames
  • Rich Motherfucker
  • Rigcoins: 538596.40
  • Send Money to Maraakate
    Windows 7 Thumb Up
  • ban rexMaraakate OlsenDonna Jo "D.J." Tanner+
  • "Banned Members"

Sergey, what do you think of my :stamp: gamespot review of BR?

I think you're WINNER !

~Sergey Titov

(\_/) Hi! I'm Bunny ^.^
Teh Lame Domain
bjorno the hedgehog
#12 30-08-2020, 01:54:55 AM
Episodes 13 - 14

Episode 13 was just a bunch of technobabble and HACKING action. If you thought stiff giant robot action scenes weren't enough to get your blood pumping then maybe people typing in front of flashing computer screens will do the trick. It did not for me.

Episode 14 is a recap clip show episode. End me.

Also the other thing I forgot to bitch about regarding anime and especially this anime. Enough with the fetching cicada sound effects. Every time it's a summer scene, ZREEEEEEE. We get it. It's summer, there's cicadas. This show really overdoes it.

Also we get to see a static image of le epic folded fingers man from multiple angles for pure minutes of static screentime. Bang up animation job, chaps.

I would rather be watching my true favourite anime, having sex with a real human female.

Character I most want to have relations with: NOT WATCHING THIS SHOW ANYMORE

:stamp:

cheers m8
JAVIKS
#13 30-08-2020, 23:25:23 PM
  • Global Moderator
  • Rigcoins: 366522.57
  • Send Money to JAVIKS
    Windows 10 Thumb Up
  • TAG TEAM CHAMPDadCoors Light Fan+
  • "cats are like potato chips"

JAVIKS
Classic Meepington
#14 01-09-2020, 12:15:06 PM
Episodes 15 - 16

Ok after another small tolerance break from this show I have come back to episode 15 and let me say: wow. It actually brought some intrigue. There's some spy stuff going on, deception, a whole episode without a giant robot fight or really any techno gibberish at all. There was characters. Misato had some feels moments with the stubbly ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ incarnate dude Ryoji after a wedding. If the show is going to continue like this with an actual throughline then I may actually like it.

Ep 16 goes back to the show's roots a little bit with the return of an ANGLE BATTLE but hey at least the animation was genuinely cool and there's like DEEP themes and stuff.
Moments of intrigue from the previous episode were still alluded to so I'm glad those haven't just been tossed away. THE SECRET OF THE EVAS. (They're probably bad!! And capital E Evil!!)

Also was it just me or was episode 16 and this episode alone on Netflix decidedly not-remastered? The colours were faded and lines were soft, everything had that raw 90s texture like I was viewing an old DVD rip. Not complaining but as a video quality junkie, somewhat confused.

Current mood is I'm actually lookin 4ward to viewing more of this "Japanimation".

(\_/) Hi! I'm Bunny ^.^
Dissident YOU'RE WINNER!
Classic Meepington
#15 08-09-2020, 23:12:04 PM
Episodes 17 - 18

Episode 17

So it was another slideshow exposition dump episode except half of the episode was just slideshow. Pretty garbage. I guess SPORTS GUY is the other giant robot pilot. The fourth one. Which is significant. Because reasons. I really like his personality, in that he likes SPORTS. A true character.

Ep 18. Yo the bully character is the pilot of the neon televangelist and his robot suit is black and he's BAD but maybe not. Maybe Shinji is being tricked. Maybe we're being tricked into thinking this is a good show.

Why do the giant robits make dinosaur sounds when they die? Altho to be fair I did enjoy when Shinji's giant robit suit got put on autopilot and it curbstomped the other dude and the robot eye thing can be seen for one frame.

(\_/) Hi! I'm Bunny ^.^
Dissident YOU'RE WINNER!