• "I hate people"
:leek:

BRN
#4 24-11-2007, 16:18:49 PM
;O;
/wrists

:D
#5 24-11-2007, 16:23:23 PM
Early Christianity was attracted to death as martyrdom, something they felt called upon by their faith to permit[citation needed]. Even the death of Jesus could be considered a kind of suicide, and has been considered so by some theologians such as Tertullian[citation needed]. There were seven suicides in the Old Testament.[2] In Matthew 27:3, the suicide of Judas Iscariot, who betrayed Jesus, is perhaps a sign of his repentance or at least the recognition of his guilt.

The most notable pro-suicide group was the Donatists, who believed that by killing themselves they could attain martyrdom and go to heaven. They jumped off cliffs, burned themselves in large numbers, and stopped travellers, either offering to pay them or threatening them with death to encourage them to kill the Donatist would-be martyr.[citation needed] They were eventually declared heretics.

As Christianity became the dominant religion of the Roman empire, its views on suicide gradually changed. In the fifth century, St. Augustine wrote the book The City of God, in it making Christianity's first overall condemnation of suicide. His biblical justification for this was his novel interpretation of the commandment, "thou shalt not kill", and the rest of his reasons were from Plato's "Phaedra". Although this was a humanitarian opposition, some Christians ended up persecuting suicides, degrading their bodies (sometimes by being buried at crossroads with a stake through their body), defaming their memories, and persecuting their families.

In the sixth century, suicide became a religious sin and secular crime. In 533, those who committed suicide while accused of a crime were denied a Christian burial, which was a requirement for going to heaven. In 562, all suicides were punished in this way. In 693, even the attempt of suicide became an ecclesiastical crime, which could be punished by excommunication, with civil consequences following. In the 13th century Thomas Aquinas vilified suicide as an act against God and as a sin for which one could not repent. Civil and criminal laws were enacted to discourage suicide, and as well as denying a proper burial and degrading the body, property and possessions of the deceased and their family were confiscated.[3][4]

Many Christians believe in the sanctity of human life, a principle which, broadly speaking, says that all human life is sacred – a wonderful, even miraculous creation of the divine God – and every effort must be made to save and preserve it whenever possible.

It was not until about a thousand years after St. Augustine that Christians again questioned suicide. Thus, even while believing that suicide is generally wrong, liberal Christians may hold that people who choose suicide are severely distressed and that the loving God of Christianity can forgive such an act.dffdsfdfds

BRN
#6 24-11-2007, 16:26:27 PM
dffdsfdfds
That seems off-topic.

:D
Classic Meepington
#7 24-11-2007, 17:14:07 PM
Nasruddin discovers gravity

One hot day, Nasruddin was taking it easy in the shade of a walnut tree. After a time, he started eying speculatively, the huge pumpkins growing on vines and the small walnuts growing on a majestic tree.

- Sometimes I just can't understand the ways of God! he mused. Just

fancy letting tinny walnuts grow on so majestic a tree and huge pumpkins on the delicate vines!

Just then a walnut snapped off and fell smack on Mullah Nasruddin's bald head. He got up at once and lifting up his hands and face to heavens in supplication, said:

- Oh, my God! Forgive my questioning your ways! You are all-wise. Where would I have been now, if pumpkins grew on trees!

(\_/) Hi! I'm Bunny ^.^
(^.^) Copy and paste us to your siggy so we can
(")(") achieve WORLD DOMINATION!
Dissident YOU'RE WINNER!
#8 24-11-2007, 20:21:41 PM
There is no gravity.