#16 11-04-2015, 18:04:42 PM
  • the ultimate, the muffin man
  • Administrator
  • Rigcoins: 99832923.19
  • Send Money to Dissident
    Windows 7 Thumb Up
  • weeaboosexual orientation uncleardissident b shirt+
  • "smash the patriarchy"
even on my much larger note 2 I relied on swiftkey a lot but I'm so bad that now even swiftkey guesses are way off based on what I type

Dissident International Anti-Furry Organization
JAVIKS
#17 11-04-2015, 18:23:09 PM
  • Global Moderator
  • Rigcoins: 366522.57
  • Send Money to JAVIKS
    Windows 7 Thumb Up
  • DadCoors Light FanTAG TEAM CHAMP+
  • "cats are like potato chips"
just press the right letters you goof

JAVIKS
bjorno the hedgehog
#18 12-04-2015, 20:37:14 PM
yell into the phone

cheers m8
bjorno780 http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/2969/freesorfzl1.gif
Dissident
#19 21-05-2015, 01:10:07 AM
  • Administrator
    Windows 7 Thumb Up
  • "smash the patriarchy"
Using the Moto G for over a month has made it abundantly clear what a bloated mess Android has become.  The HTC Dream/G1, the first Android phone, which I was a proud user of, had a paltry 192 MB of RAM, and while it ran like garbage, it didn't kill an app as soon as I opened another one.  I commend stock Android for being a wonderfully smooth experience on my "underpowered" device in terms of scrolling and animating, but its complete inability to multitask becomes a headache really quickly.  I'll open a link in any app, Chrome will open and use up all the RAM, so Android will kill all the background apps, and now I've lost my place in whatever app I opened the link from originally.  And it's really jarring every time I hit the home button and all of my home screens have to be repopulated.  Sometimes I hit the apps drawer and get a loading spinner.  It's the kind of thing you don't notice on a 2 GB+ device, even my crappy old Note II, but app makers and Google have made their experiences totally dependent on users having top notch hardware.  And that's ridiculous.  Top notch is Apple's game, Android is meant for the teeming masses living in the third world who can't afford a superphone.  Will they be stuck on Gingerbread forever while Google leaves them in the dust?

Honestly though, how the hell is 1 GB not enough for a mobile device?  I can run a snappy Linux instance on 1 GB of RAM no problem, and I can run multiple browsers with 30 tabs open on each on my 4 GB Macbook, but when I open Chrome (fresh! no tabs!) on my phone it practically kills itself.

#20 21-05-2015, 02:18:52 AM
- Last Edit: 21-05-2015, 02:31:47 AM
it is a disgrace and i feel bad for recommending this phone now

but apparently it is an issue with Android's lowmemorykiller having way over-aggressive defaults
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=98332
https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=over+aggressive+lowmemorykiller+moto+g&spell=1

so MAYBE it will be fixed in a future update (probably not)

scroogle considers this issue LOW PRIORITY

Cirus
#21 21-05-2015, 10:08:54 AM
  • Administrator
  • Rigcoins: 9811901.09
  • Send Money to Cirus
    Tapatalk Thumb Up
  • Head Cynic/Obscure Metalheadsmug hipsterCS:GO Fuck Yourself+
That's terrible, but yeah so many android phones are full of bloatware now. It was a huge annoyance when I got my HTC One. With my OPO I never have to think about RAM because I can't really do enough to use even 1 GB

cirus_
ZIGS_ARE_WINNER
#22 21-05-2015, 12:27:29 PM
  • Это вроде сосать быть Дарта Вейдера
  • Rigcoins: 30212916.90
  • Send Money to ZIGS_ARE_WINNER
    Windows 7 Thumb Up
  • BrazilianPC Master RaceThe Napster+
  • "I hate people"
Is there like a custom android version one can install that's as barebones as possible?

Dissident
#23 21-05-2015, 12:40:42 PM
  • Administrator
    OS X Puma Thumb Up
  • "smash the patriarchy"
The Moto G is stock Android with no bloat, which is really nice.  But that just serves to highlight that even bare Android is too much of a resource hog for a 1 GB RAM phone.

ZIGS_ARE_WINNER
#24 21-05-2015, 12:45:10 PM
    Windows 7 Thumb Up
  • "I hate people"
Damn, first Chrome and now Android. Does Google think you can just download RAM????

Svetlana
#25 21-05-2015, 22:26:53 PM
Using the Moto G for over a month has made it abundantly clear what a bloated mess Android has become.  The HTC Dream/G1, the first Android phone, which I was a proud user of, had a paltry 192 MB of RAM, and while it ran like garbage, it didn't kill an app as soon as I opened another one.  I commend stock Android for being a wonderfully smooth experience on my "underpowered" device in terms of scrolling and animating, but its complete inability to multitask becomes a headache really quickly.  I'll open a link in any app, Chrome will open and use up all the RAM, so Android will kill all the background apps, and now I've lost my place in whatever app I opened the link from originally.  And it's really jarring every time I hit the home button and all of my home screens have to be repopulated.  Sometimes I hit the apps drawer and get a loading spinner.  It's the kind of thing you don't notice on a 2 GB+ device, even my crappy old Note II, but app makers and Google have made their experiences totally dependent on users having top notch hardware.  And that's ridiculous.  Top notch is Apple's game, Android is meant for the teeming masses living in the third world who can't afford a superphone.  Will they be stuck on Gingerbread forever while Google leaves them in the dust?

Honestly though, how the hell is 1 GB not enough for a mobile device?  I can run a snappy Linux instance on 1 GB of RAM no problem, and I can run multiple browsers with 30 tabs open on each on my 4 GB Macbook, but when I open Chrome (fresh! no tabs!) on my phone it practically kills itself.

i had an LG L5II (which i lost along with my wallet and all of my documents last sunday) which had 1ghz single core and 512mb ram and it ran official 4.1.2 better than my Motorola Milestone 2 with 1ghz single core and 512mb ram ran unofficial 4.1.2

it's really about knowing how to optimize the software, and it really annoys me that hardware can go so misused

lana_chan my name is erin
JAVIKS
#26 21-05-2015, 22:48:36 PM
  • Global Moderator
  • Rigcoins: 366522.57
  • Send Money to JAVIKS
    Windows 7 Thumb Up
  • DadCoors Light FanTAG TEAM CHAMP+
  • "cats are like potato chips"
don't get the lg lucid 2, it was great for a year and now it's a piece of poo poo

JAVIKS
Dissident
#27 23-05-2015, 16:07:45 PM
  • Administrator
    Windows 7 Thumb Up
  • "smash the patriarchy"
an actual problem with the Moto G is the camera.  At first it was okay, but now it won't focus properly so it's basically unusable.  Not a huge issue since I don't take photos much anymore but it sucks when I do want to.

ZIGS_ARE_WINNER
#28 23-05-2015, 16:16:52 PM
    Windows 7 Thumb Up
  • "I hate people"
Nothing worse than blurry dick pics

Dissident
#29 23-05-2015, 16:23:19 PM
  • Administrator
    Windows 7 Thumb Up
  • "smash the patriarchy"
ikr

#30 23-05-2015, 17:54:29 PM
The only problem I have with the camera is it makes my dick look too small I don't know why