ZIGS_ARE_WINNER
#1 28-08-2013, 12:28:38 PM
  • Это вроде сосать быть Дарта Вейдера
  • Rigcoins: 30212916.90
  • Send Money to ZIGS_ARE_WINNER
    Windows 7 Thumb Up
  • BrazilianThe NapsterPC Master Race+
  • "I hate people"

It's like someone left a draft for an April Fools joke on top of a desk and some exec saw it and took it seriously. That being said, it looks like it should work great as a door-stopper

ZIGS_ARE_WINNER
#2 28-08-2013, 12:30:44 PM
    Windows 7 Thumb Up
  • "I hate people"
And the memes already started

Cirus
#4 28-08-2013, 14:22:37 PM
  • Administrator
  • Rigcoins: 9811901.09
  • Send Money to Cirus
    OS X Mountain Lion Thumb Up
  • Head Cynic/Obscure Metalheadsmug hipsterProfessional Football Manager+
From somebody who actually owns a 3DS, this is a really clever design.  It's an incredibly cheap device and can play all of the same games as the 3DS.  What's not to love about it?  Most people turn off 3D anyway.

cirus_
Svetlana
#5 28-08-2013, 14:26:29 PM
  • forum's girl mascot
  • Rigcoins: 9634722.71
  • Send Money to Svetlana
    Windows 7 Thumb Up
  • Dust II OwnsPortugueseLotus 3 soundtrack+
  • "what do you mean it's not 1986"
its*

lana_chan my name is erin
#6 28-08-2013, 15:37:24 PM
From somebody who actually owns a 3DS, this is a really clever design.  It's an incredibly cheap device and can play all of the same games as the 3DS.  What's not to love about it?  Most people turn off 3D anyway.

It's an incredibly cheap device

I'm totally fine with the lack of 3D because I don't use it either, but everything else about this screams cheap and stupid. It's not a clamshell design which means that you can't close it to fit it in your pocket (but if you have the XL like me you can't fit that in your pocket either). It doesn't have stereo speakers for some reason which is stupid because the last Nintendo handheld to have mono speakers was the GBA and I doubt it's saving them that much money. And the battery life is still poo poo. I get that it's supposed to be "baby's first handheld" but I think most parents are perfectly fine with letting their kids play with their iPhones and tablets and making a 3DS that's $30 cheaper isn't gonna change that. Also it looks dumb.

scuzzyneighbour
Svetlana
#7 28-08-2013, 15:43:18 PM
  • forum's girl mascot
  • Send Money to Svetlana
    Windows 7 Thumb Up

I'm totally fine with the lack of 3D because I don't use it either, but everything else about this screams cheap and stupid. It's not a clamshell design which means that you can't close it to fit it in your pocket (but if you have the XL like me you can't fit that in your pocket either). It doesn't have stereo speakers for some reason which is stupid because the last Nintendo handheld to have mono speakers was the GBA and I doubt it's saving them that much money. And the battery life is still poo poo. I get that it's supposed to be "baby's first handheld" but I think most parents are perfectly fine with letting their kids play with their iPhones and tablets and making a 3DS that's $30 cheaper isn't gonna change that. Also it looks dumb.

the thing is that the 3ds has a screen that can be harmful for little kids' eyes if they accidentally turn the 3d on (or so is reported) so they made a version that's more rugged and has no 3d just for that

it -looks- cheaper because it -is- cheaper, so it's not something that you can easily scratch or otherwise damage aesthetically and feel much bad about it
the speaker still does its job and you can get stereo from headphones

you look dumb

#8 28-08-2013, 15:51:31 PM
I always wanted a DS since I was a little kid

Maybe now is the time

Cirus
#9 28-08-2013, 15:52:57 PM
  • Administrator
  • Rigcoins: 9811901.09
  • Send Money to Cirus
    OS X Mountain Lion Thumb Up
  • Head Cynic/Obscure Metalheadsmug hipsterProfessional Football Manager+
No hinges and no 3D make this perfect for young kids who would otherwise be more likely to break the more expensive 3DS.  It's launching with the new Pokemon games, so it really makes perfect sense for that.

cirus_
#10 28-08-2013, 16:00:04 PM
Is there a lot of good DS/3DS games? I haven't been paying attention. Last game I played was brain age and that was very fun!

#11 28-08-2013, 16:03:28 PM

the thing is that the 3ds has a screen that can be harmful for little kids' eyes if they accidentally turn the 3d on (or so is reported) so they made a version that's more rugged and has no 3d just for that

it -looks- cheaper because it -is- cheaper, so it's not something that you can easily scratch or otherwise damage aesthetically and feel much bad about it
the speaker still does its job and you can get stereo from headphones

you look dumb

You can disable 3D use in the 3DS parental settings. And as I said, I have no problem with it being 2D.

I would imagine it would be easier to scratch it since you can't close it to protect the screen. I guess that's why it comes with a carrying case. And how much would stereo speakers add to the BOM?

I look fine.

scuzzyneighbour
ZIGS_ARE_WINNER
#12 28-08-2013, 16:19:58 PM
    Windows 7 Thumb Up
  • "I hate people"
Gotta side with WSW here...

Svetlana
#13 28-08-2013, 17:37:58 PM
  • forum's girl mascot
  • Send Money to Svetlana
    Windows 7 Thumb Up
Is there a lot of good DS/3DS games? I haven't been paying attention. Last game I played was brain age and that was very fun!

i'm hooked on picross on my ds lite that i got with a flashcart bundled

as soon as a payment clears up within the next month i'm getting a 3ds and animal crossing new leaf

Dissident
#14 28-08-2013, 18:02:38 PM
  • the ultimate, the muffin man
  • Administrator
  • Rigcoins: 99832923.19
  • Send Money to Dissident
    Windows 7 Thumb Up
  • dissident b shirtweeaboosexual orientation unclear+
  • "smash the patriarchy"
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's a very reasonable product, I frankly like the design, and it dispenses with unnecessary features and focuses on the game rather than the gimmick

but HOLY poo poo, this is almost as big as Microsoft backpedaling on the Xbox One.  The only real loss is the clamshell design but since I never take my 3DS anywhere so that loses nothing for me.  But poo poo, that's hilarious.

Dissident International Anti-Furry Organization
#15 28-08-2013, 18:04:28 PM

The only real loss is the clamshell design but since I never take my 3DS anywhere so that loses nothing for me.