YOUREWINNER.COM

Shaq Fu RPG2: Goatass Beckons / Big Rigs RPG

#16 01-11-2012, 03:08:13 AM
can you play as the rigs/can they join your party?

They play a central role in the game and you will be able to to pilot them. If you played Shaq Fu RPG 2 (pretty sure no one did) the combat will be very similar to that (only in a less resource intensive engine).

X23
#17 01-11-2012, 07:46:25 AM
I haven't played shaq fu rpg 2 yet but I've been meaning to give it a look. I liked how the combat looked in the trailer though.

x33
#18 03-11-2012, 00:59:28 AM
I actually didn't enjoy writing that game because I was forced to have Shaq speak in Ebonics for lore and continuity reasons. Since it was a sequel to a troll game I made in 2002, I had to include a lot of silly poo poo even though I tried to "evolve" the story into something more serious mid-way through. The horrendous lag innate to RPG Maker XP games coupled with the contrived fist jokes during the first 40 minutes of the game ruined it, IMO.

Anyway, I started making Big Rigs RPG in Unity but with my work schedule (hard physical labor 12 hours a day/5 days a week), it would probably take me 20 years to complete it. I have since decided to switch to Engine 001 which is perfect for a one man army. It has its own built in scripting language geared toward non-programmers like me and is rather easy to pick up. I'm making some real progress on the game now and I will absolutely complete this. I'm having too much fun making it not to. The tone of this game will be a lot different than my previous games. Outside of the premise itself, the game takes itself dead-pan seriously. I should have some screenshots (and even a video of the battle system) done by this weekend. By then, I'll probably create a new thread for it.

Anyway, I'm going to post some of the background story I came up with for Big Rigs Forever:

Big Rigs Forever/RPG
Genre: Sci-Fi themed Action-RPG

Premise / Story: Many millennia ago, there was an all encompassing empire known as the Rigists on the far flung planet of Russia. Their spiritual leader and demigod, Lord Stell, was a benevolent leader who bestowed the denizens of Rigaria with technology comparable to many of the creature comforts we enjoy today. His Magna Opus was of course the four great rigs— astounding sentient machines that stood guard over Rigaria like gigantic, lumbering golems.

However, there was a small minority of Rigists that were innately blessed with the ability to use psionics. Unfortunately, due to WINNERness overload, those who possessed this ability were unable to operate anything powered by electricity. It would simply short circuit when the possessor drew too close. As a result, they were relegated to small, slummy sections of Rigaria without electricity or running water. Trash and waste littered the streets of those miserable ghettos which incited dissent among the occupants. Over time, dissent turned into outright rage toward Lord Stell and the rest of Rigaria. This ultimately culminated in a civil war with the psionic warriors crushing Lord Stell and his glorious rigs. Those who followed him were driven into hiding and the Psionic Rigists became the preeminent power on Rigaria. Several generations have passed since that fateful day and Lord Stell himself has been forgotten.  Without technology, Rigaria stagnated from a technological standpoint and even the Rigs themselves have been dismantled. 

However, there are a very select few who are known as *The Rigborn.* These powerful individuals are both blessed with psionics and can utilize advanced technology. Sergey Titov, the head of the town-guardsmen, is himself a Rigborn. However, he only later discovers this when he uncovers an ancient piece of technology known as the “AK-47.” As others discover his “condition” he becomes a marked man and is forced to flee Rigaria. Having been forsaken by his people, Sergey seeks refuge within *The Forbidden Zone* -- an unforgiving and desolate mountain range that is greatly feared. No one has ever been known to return from the peak of the mountain alive. Feeling dejected and suicidal, Sergey climbs the mountain with the intention of flinging himself off of a cliff until a deity thought long dead intervenes… 

Thunder
#19 04-11-2012, 01:21:26 AM
I actually didn't enjoy writing that game because I was forced to have Shaq speak in Ebonics for lore and continuity reasons. Since it was a sequel to a troll game I made in 2002, I had to include a lot of silly poo poo even though I tried to "evolve" the story into something more serious mid-way through. The horrendous lag innate to RPG Maker XP games coupled with the contrived fist jokes during the first 40 minutes of the game ruined it, IMO.

Anyway, I started making Big Rigs RPG in Unity but with my work schedule (hard physical labor 12 hours a day/5 days a week), it would probably take me 20 years to complete it. I have since decided to switch to Engine 001 which is perfect for a one man army. It has its own built in scripting language geared toward non-programmers like me and is rather easy to pick up. I'm making some real progress on the game now and I will absolutely complete this. I'm having too much fun making it not to. The tone of this game will be a lot different than my previous games. Outside of the premise itself, the game takes itself dead-pan seriously. I should have some screenshots (and even a video of the battle system) done by this weekend. By then, I'll probably create a new thread for it.

Anyway, I'm going to post some of the background story I came up with for Big Rigs Forever:

Big Rigs Forever/RPG

Premise / Story: Many millennia ago, there was an all encompassing empire known as the Rigists on the far flung planet of Russia. Their spiritual leader and demigod, Lord Stell, was a benevolent leader who bestowed the denizens of Rigaria with technology comparable to many of the creature comforts we enjoy today. His Magna Opus was of course the four great rigs— astounding sentient machines that stood guard over Rigaria like gigantic, lumbering golems.

However, there was a small minority of Rigists that were innately blessed with the ability to use psionics. Unfortunately, due to WINNERness overload, those who possessed this ability were unable to operate anything powered by electricity. It would simply short circuit when the possessor drew too close. As a result, they were relegated to small, slummy sections of Rigaria without electricity or running water. Trash and waste littered the streets of those miserable ghettos which incited dissent among the occupants. Over time, dissent turned into outright rage toward Lord Stell and the rest of Rigaria. This ultimately culminated in a civil war with the psionic warriors crushing Lord Stell and his glorious rigs. Those who followed him were driven into hiding and the Psionic Rigists became the preeminent power on Rigaria. Several generations have passed since that fateful day and Lord Stell himself has been forgotten.  Without technology, Rigaria stagnated from a technological standpoint and even the Rigs themselves have been dismantled. 

However, there are a very select few who are known as *The Rigborn.* These powerful individuals are both blessed with psionics and can utilize advanced technology. Sergey Titov, the head of the town-guardsmen, is himself a Rigborn. However, he only later discovers this when he uncovers an ancient piece of technology known as the “AK-47.” As others discover his “condition” he becomes a marked man and is forced to flee Rigaria. Having been forsaken by his people, Sergey seeks refuge within *The Forbidden Zone* -- an unforgiving and desolate mountain range that is greatly feared. No one has ever been known to return from the peak of the mountain alive. Feeling dejected and suicidal, Sergey climbs the mountain with the intention of flinging himself off of a cliff until a deity thought long dead intervenes…

Forget the RPG, Big Rigs Forever needs to be its own game. Your description reminded me of Second Sight. I wouldn't be using Engine 001, however. Their definition of "free" is not satisfactory. I wish I could suggest a game engine for you to use, but technology has not gotten to the point where you can just "pick one". You could use SDL, or you could use one of those 3D engines for Java, then compile applets using JDK 1.1, which would mean that they would work on Windows and Mac. (You could also use FreeBASIC, but it would limit you to DOS-level stuff if you wanted to make a Mac port). There are other ways for you to make games that I will let you discover.

yourethunder
Svetlana
#20 04-11-2012, 11:50:42 AM
you're assuming whoever makes big rigs forever is an untalented piece of poo poo like you who needs to use ready-made tools to make subpar poo poo

lana_chan my name is erin
#21 04-11-2012, 12:31:46 PM

Heh, I never claimed to be talented; I'm just a bored guy who has always wanted to play a Big Rigs RPG. I remember lurking the previous incarnation of this site and stumbling up the "Big Rigs RPG" subforum and thought that the entire premise was great.

Yeah, I have to rely on a premade engine, but if I was talented enough to build an engine from the ground up I probably wouldn't be a warehouse worker that lifts 75 pound totes repetitively for 12 straight hours.

Your description reminded me of Second Sight.

Never heard of it, man. The last three games I played was Empire: Total War, Skyrim, and Fallout: NV around the time they were launched. Ironically enough, I'm not a very big gamer. Hopefully Second Sight was a good game.

Svetlana
#22 04-11-2012, 14:20:22 PM
Heh, I never claimed to be talented

well, but i was talking about what thunder suggested, by which i mean he was suggesting poo pooty tools for poo pooty jobs and someone who could make the game he described would clearly not use them, and instead something much better and possibly even made from scratch

#23 04-11-2012, 17:03:59 PM

Big Rigs Forever/RPG

I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me.

Simply   :stamp:

#24 04-11-2012, 18:34:22 PM

Here is an example of the combat in its early stages. Titov wasn't high enough level to cast any spells, so he doesn't on this test map. In this video, he kills some baddies with his axe and runs over some enemies with a Big Rig.

Edit: Sorry about the low quality. I promise it looks a lot better in game. Try and watch it in 720p.

I really wish I had more time to work on this. I pretty much spent all weekend creating and ripping sprites because I cannot stand the Japanese chibi-styled sprites included within the RTP.

#25 04-11-2012, 20:55:05 PM

Big Rigs Forever/RPG

I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me.

Simply   :stamp:

Thanks, man. Right now I still trying to configure the HUD, figure out/plan how exactly the spells will work, and creating original graphics. Also, the story and cut-scenes are also still being fleshed out. I just figured out how to get the Rig to attack enemies and have already added the ability to shoot rockets and bullets(it's still really glitchy, though). The movie I posted isn't indicative of how the final game is going to look. It pretty much contains assets from Shaq Fu RPG 2, but I promised that I would upload *something* pertaining to the game by the weekend, so it is what it is, I guess.

Thunder
#26 04-11-2012, 21:01:47 PM
Heh, I never claimed to be talented

well, but i was talking about what thunder suggested, by which i mean he was suggesting poo pooty tools for poo pooty jobs and someone who could make the game he described would clearly not use them, and instead something much better and possibly even made from scratch

That's a little ambiguous. Do you mean to say that there are better tools out there than what I suggested, or that one could easily make a complex RPG-style adventure game as described? I know my tools, and I know that using either what I suggested or lower-level tools to make such a complex game would take one person more time than I have spent on Dark Survival 2.

yourethunder
Svetlana
#27 04-11-2012, 21:02:13 PM
looks very secret-of-mana-ish, i'm liking it

sections where you have to drive on open roads would be nice if the rig were smaller so it doesn't take too much of the screen

I'm interested to see how this turns out

Svetlana
#28 04-11-2012, 21:03:26 PM
thunder i could probably make a game better than dark survival 2 in 5 minutes if i really wanted to and really tried

with that said i have no will to do it because fetch you

Thunder
#29 04-11-2012, 21:03:44 PM
oh hey look it's the turd man turd rating every thunder post automatically

yourethunder
Thunder
#30 04-11-2012, 21:06:12 PM
thunder i could probably make a game better than dark survival 2 in 5 minutes if i really wanted to and really tried

with that said i have no will to do it because unicorn you

If you really tried? In what engine? What is "better"? "Better" as in a popularity contest? Sure, you could probably make a game with gameplay that is more "fun" in less time and with a different engine, and so could I. However, the game would be completely non-portable, the graphics would be mismatched and ugly, and your easy 3D game maker would plaster ads all over the screen.

yourethunder